MANILA, Philippines — Korean TV station KBS is getting the heat from international fans of JYJ including Filipinos after it released a statement to justify why it continues to ban the boy band from appearing on its shows.
“We–as international consumers of the Korean Wave, supporters of JYJ and citizens of the world that value justice and the rule of law–hereby condemn the official statement issued by Korean Broadcasting System (hereafter, ‘KBS’) on 18 May, 2011 regarding its reasons to prohibit JYJ from appearing on ‘Music Bank’ and other such entertainment programs,” according to a petition issued by JYJ fans in the Philippines, Germany, Malaysia, Turkey, Finland, United Kingdom and Europe.
The statement stemmed from a message posted by KBS on its message board regarding JYJ.
JYJ and SM Entertainment are currently involved in a court case that dates back to 2009 when Xiah Junsu, Micky Yoochun and Kim Jaejoong, members of popular group TVXQ, sued the agency to annul their exclusive contracts.
The three left SM Entertainment and TVXQ and have since formed their own group, JYJ. The three have been banned by Korean TV stations from appearing on their shows especially the music shows because of the lawsuit.
A Korean court issued an injunction ordering SM Entertainment not to meddle with JYJ’s activities. Fans are waiting for the final decision of the court on the lawsuit.
In its message, KBS said it continues to ban JYJ because of the lawsuit, adding that allowing JYJ to appear on shows can influence the outcome of the case. It also said that it cannot allow JYJ to appear on the shows because the group is currently promoting their albums under two contracts—one from SM Entertainment and another one from C-JeS Entertainment, the agency hired by the three to manage their careers.
It added that JYJ’s TV appearances are a “threat to the culture industry.”
In their statement, the fans said, “Ultimately, any attempt by KBS to use the exclusive contract and the lawsuit between JYJ and SM Entertainment as a justification for prohibiting JYJ’s media appearances run contrary to the explicit mandate of the Court and is a mischaracterization.”
KBS took down the message the following day, saying that the statement was an old message that was written last February in response to a question on the message board. It claimed that the posting of the May 18 statement was a system error so it was deleted.
It also claimed that JYJ was not invited to perform on “Music Bank” because the group hasn’t released an official album and only released official soundtracks. However, fans pointed out that JYJ has indeed released an album, “The Beginning”, last year contrary to KBS’ claim.
KBS said when JYJ releases an album, it will depend on the producer of “Music Bank” on whether to invite JYJ or not.
“We look forward to KBS honoring its commitment to broadcast JYJ on Music Bank when the group’s new album is released,” the fans said.
“Music Bank” is one of the music TV shows that K-pop artists appear on to promote their music. Others are SBS “Inkigayo”, MBC “Music Core” and Mnet “M! Countdown.”
JYJ is currently on World Tour. They will hold a concert at Rogers Arena in Vancouver, Canada on May 20 (May 21 in the Philippines). The group will also hold concerts on May 22 in Newark, New Jersey; Nokia Theatre L.A. Live in Los Angeles, California on May 27 and at the Event Center of the San Jose State University in San Jose, California on June 3.